Data analytics - data on thousands of patients must be precisely analysed
The PIONEER platform is now operational and is being used by PIONEER researchers to address the most important prostate cancer research questions prioritised by clinicians, patients, pharma, researchers and policy makers in the field of prostate cancer.
Under the guidance of WP5 data analytics in PIONEER aims to fulfil the following objectives:
- Develop a data analysis plan and standard operating procedure for each major research objective to ensure transparency and effective communication for all stakeholders.
- Carry out data exploration, visualisation and basic statistics in a way that uncovers new insights into the research questions being asked.
- Implement data quality control measures to ensure data errors and outliners are identified and controlled for ensuring the most reliable data possible.
- Develop predictive models of patient outcomes, disease progression and therapy selection based on advanced analytics. This will include investigating the added value of clinical and biological biomarkers in improving predictions throughout the care pathway of prostate cancer.
- Assess the performance of new predictive models over existing methods and develop a clinician/patient scoring and evaluation process.
- Pilot patient evaluation and treatment strategies based on these new predictive analytical tools and models, as it is vitally important to measure the acceptance and adherence of both patients and clinicians.
- Utilise the PIONEER database to estimate the economic burden of prostate cancer depending on the disease stage and geographic region in which the patient lives. The outputs will be useful to inform policy issues, and provide useful inputs to WP6.
Ultimately, this will pave the way to individualised, evidence-based medicine, improved decision-making and optimised care for prostate cancer patients.
Billy Franks WP5 EFPIA Lead
Listen to Billy Franks from WP5 explaining the importance of data analysis plans for PIONEER’s research questions.